D.V.M., Ph.D. Professor of Immunology
Phone: 301 314-6814
- 1997-2000 Postdoctoral, Immunology, Harvard Medical School and Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
- 1997 PhD, Virology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, USA
- 1987 MS, Pathology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China.
- 1984 DVM, Veterinary Medicine, Ningxia University, Yinchuan, China.
- 2003-2008, Assistant Professor; 2008-2013, Associate Professor; 2013-present, Professor, Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- 2011-Present, Faculty Member, the Graduate Training Program in Virology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- 2007-Present, Faculty Member, the Maryland Pathogen Research Institute (MPRI), University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- 2004-Present, Faculty Member, the Graduate Training Program in Molecular and Cell Biology (MOCB), University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- 2000-2003, Instructor in Medicine (Junior Faculty), Harvard Medical School and Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA.
- 1989-1991, Lecturer, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- 1987-1989, Assistant Lecturer, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
Current Research Topics
- Identification of new mechanisms of immune regulation on mucosal infections and inflammations at molecular and cellular immunology level;
- How the mucosal immune system distinguishes pathogenic from non-pathogenic microbes and how pathogens evade innate and adaptive immunity
- Harnessing innate and adaptive immunity for mucosal vaccine development and immunotherapy.
- Palaniyandi S, Liu X, Periyasamy S, Ma A, Tang J, Jenkins M, Tuo W, Song W, Keegan AD, Conrad D, Zhu X. Inhibition of CD23-mediated IgE transcytosis suppresses the initiation and development of allergic airway inflammation. Mucosal Immunol. 2015; Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Seeley-Fallen MK, Liu L, Shapiro M, Onabajo OO, Palaniyandi S, Zhu X, Tan TH, Upadhyay A, Song W. 2014. Actin-binding protein 1 links B-cell antigen receptors to negative signaling pathways. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA). 2014; 111:9881-9886.
- Miller ML, Mashayekhi M, Chen L, Zhou P, Liu X, Michelotti M, Gunn NT, Powers S, Zhu X, Evaristo C, Alegre ML, Molinero L. Basal NF-kappaB activity is essential for naïve T cell survival and IL-7Ralpha expression. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA). 2014; 111:7397-402.
- Palaniyandi S, Tomei E, Li Z, Conrad D, Zhu X. CD23-mediated transcytosis of IgE and immune complexes across the polarized human respiratory epithelial cells. J. Immunol. 2011; 186:3484-3496.
- Li Z, Palaniyandi S, Zeng R, Tuo W, Roopenian DC, Zhu X. Transfer of immunoglobulin G in the female genital tract by a MHC class I-related neonatal Fc receptor confers protective immunity to vaginal infections. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA). 2011; 108:4388-4393.
- Liu X, Lu L, Yang Z, Palaniyandi S, Zeng R, Gao L, Mosser DM, Roopenian DC, Zhu X. FcRn-mediated presentation of immune-complexed antigen is associated with the endosomal and phagosomal acidification and antigen stability in macrophages and dendritic cells. J. Immunol. 2011, 186:4674-4686.
- Bai Y, Ye L, Tesar DB, Song H, Zhao D, Björkman PJ, Roopenian DC, Zhu X. Intracellular neutralization of viral infection by IgG in polarized epithelial cells is dependent on FcRn-mediated IgG transport. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA). 2011; 108:18406-18411.
- Ye L, Zeng R, Bai Y, Roopenian DC, Zhu X. Efficient mucosal vaccination mediated by the neonatal Fc receptor. Nature Biotechnol. 2011; 29:158-163.