D.V.M., Ph.D. Professor
Phone: 301 314-6814
Education and Professional Experience
- 2008 Associate Professor, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- 2003 Assistant Professor, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- 2000 Instructor in Medicine (Junior Faculty), Harvard Medical School and Brigham & Women's Hospital
- 1997 Postdoctoral, Immunology, Harvard Medical School and Brigham & Women's Hospital
- 1997 PhD, Virology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin
- 1989 Lecturer, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- 1987 Assistant Lecturer, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- 1987 MS, Pathology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- 1984 DVM, Veterinary Medicine, Ningxia University, Yinchuan, China
Current Research Topics
- Identification of new mechanisms of immune regulation on mucosal infections and inflammations at molecular and cellular immunology level;
- How the mucosal immune system distinguishes pathogenic from non-pathogenic microbes and how pathogens evade innate and adaptive immunity
- Harnessing innate and adaptive immunity for mucosal vaccine development and immunotherapy.
- Liu X, Ye L, Christianson G, Yang J, Roopenian DC, Zhu X. NF-kappa B signaling regulates the functional expression of MHC class I-related human neonatal Fc receptor via intronic binding sequences. J. Immunol. 2007; 179:2999-3011.Editorial Commentary: The Importance of Introns in FcRn.
- Ye L, Zeng R, Bai Y, Roopenian DC, Zhu X. Efficient mucosal vaccination mediated by the neonatal Fc receptor. Nature Biotechnol. 2011; 29:158-163. Editorial Commentary: FcRn-Escorted Mucosal Vaccine. News And Views: McGhee JR. A Mucosal Gateway For Vaccines. Nature Biotechnol. 2011; 29:136-138. *Evaluated by Faculty of 1000 Biology.
- Palaniyandi S, Tomei E, Li Z, Conrad D, Zhu X. CD23-mediated transcytosis of IgE and immune complexes across the polarized human respiratory epithelial cells. J. Immunol., 2011; 186:3484-3496. Editorial Commentary: Aiding Allergy.
- Li Z, Palaniyandi S, Zeng R, Tuo W, Roopenian DC, Zhu X. Transfer of immunoglobulin G in the female genital tract by a MHC class I-related neonatal Fc receptor confers protective immunity to vaginal infections.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA). 2011;In press. Editorial Commentary: Placental immune protein helps fight vaginal infection. Press Tip:Placental protein helps prevent STDs in mice...
- Liu X, Lu L, Yang Z, Palaniyandi S, Zeng R, Gao L, Mosser DM, Roopenian DC, Zhu X. FcRn-mediated presentation of immune-complexed antigen is associated with the endosomal and phagosomal acidification and antigen stability in macrophages and dendritic cells.J. Immunol., 2011, 186:000-000. In press.